Friday, September 11, 2009

Flashback to Moving Full Throttle Ahead !!

So, the fall semester just kicked in. I find myself in the lab every other day with no classes to attend, no project deadlines to meet (for all immediate purposes), and no class mates to hang around with. I find this change a little unsettling, yet exciting too, in a way. Its one of those situations where, although you are certain of not failing, there are those tiny anxieties nagging you at the back of your head.

On one hand I don’t have to juggle my work, internship and the completion of a dozen units, with the rest of my daily routine... that had become the norm for me in the past. So, life definitely has a more laid back ambience to it.., at least superficially, less stress, more breathing time between thesis, work and internship, which is nice. On the other hand it’s a little uneasy and unusual to not have a pre-made structure to follow, despite cribbing endlessly when we had it, lolz. Guess its just time to grow up.., and set your own rules, which is not too tough; but then comes the tricky part.., following it!! It’s not like I’ve never had to set and follow a schedule. However, this is a lot more flexibility than I am used to, and hence the apprehension.

Ever so often, we start taking things in our routine for granted that we often fail to realize their true significance. For example, just the random discussions with class mates, sharing the same space for the duration of a class etc., just did not seem to be that big of a deal in the past; however, now that its done with I miss all of it so much!! Oh yes! all of the good, bad, special and ordinary experiences that we've had together are memories I'll cherish for sure. Also, it’s amazing how often, we as humans, introspect and retrospect to try and improve our present and future. Sometimes it’s more consciously done than the others. In the same vein, I am curious, as to how well I set and self regulate my new routine. Will I totally fall into the procrastination mode (which is my greatest fear) or will it be more of a productive and pleasurable experience? I shall soon find out !!

No comments: